Prague, the capital city of the Czech Republic, is a stunning destination with its beautiful architecture, rich history, and vibrant atmosphere. But if you’re looking to escape the hustle and bustle of the city, there are numerous day trips you can take to explore the enchanting Czech countryside. Here are some of the best day trips from Prague that will allow you to immerse yourself in the natural beauty and charm of the region.
1. Český Krumlov – Located about two and a half hours away from Prague, Český Krumlov is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of the most picturesque towns in the country. With its well-preserved medieval architecture and stunning castle perched on a hill, Český Krumlov will make you feel like you’ve stepped back in time.
2. Karlovy Vary – Famous for its thermal springs and elegant architecture, Karlovy Vary is a spa town situated around two hours from Prague. The town is known for its grand colonnades, where you can sample the healing waters and indulge in spa treatments. Karlovy Vary is also home to one of the oldest film festivals in the world, making it a perfect destination for both relaxation and culture.
3. Kutná Hora – This historic town, just an hour from Prague, is another UNESCO World Heritage Site. Kutná Hora was once a major silver mining center and its rich history can be seen in the stunning Gothic Cathedral of St. Barbara and the eerie Sedlec Ossuary, a chapel decorated with thousands of human bones.
4. Bohemian Switzerland – For nature lovers, a trip to Bohemian Switzerland National Park is a must. Located near the German border, this national park offers breathtaking landscapes, including sandstone formations, deep gorges, and dense forests. One of the highlights of the park is Pravčická brána, the largest natural sandstone arch in Europe.
5. Karlštejn Castle – Just a short journey from Prague, Karlštejn Castle is one of the most important and well-preserved castles in the Czech Republic. This Gothic castle, with its imposing towers and intricate interior, was built in the 14th century to house the crown jewels. A guided tour will take you back in time and allow you to explore the castle’s stunning architecture and rich history.
These are just a few examples of the many day trips you can take from Prague to discover the beauty and history of the Czech countryside. Whether you’re interested in exploring medieval towns, relaxing in spa towns, or immersing yourself in nature, there is something for everyone just a short distance from the capital city. So, when planning your visit to Prague, make sure you set aside some time to venture into the countryside and experience the charm and tranquility of these nearby destinations.